Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Attitude & Beliefs

I was approached by a lady at a networking event. She was very interested in what I do (stress-management) and we made contact. Some time later she invited me for lunch with her associate (owner of the company) to discuss and see if we might find some way of working together as they are coaches.
It was all very nice and friendly but after talking a while it became obvious that I don't have a corporate background which they do. At this point the "talk" was already over. To the owner- lady only corporate exists and the minute she realized that I have never been on any board of anything corporate, she completely lost interest and tuned me out. After that we chit-chatted about different things until the lunch was over.
Finally she said something along the line of: "Well, I suppose the best way for you to get any client is by having them on your massage-table". It was said very nicely indeed....but with an unmistakably cutting edge. Very rude. I left feeling like an idiot. I wanted to go back and tell them they had me all wrong, but of course I didn't. I am a very proud person.

A couple of months later, I was again at a networking event. The same lady that approached me before came in through the door. She looked embarrassed when she saw me, nodding her hello and quickly looking away. This, more than anything else, told me that to her I had been a mistake. I obviously did not fit in the scheme and I got the feeling that she had been told off by lady-boss. She had brought a companion (new girl on the team) and spent the rest of the evening avoiding me, which left her stranded with the new girl, since most everybody was hanging about discussing with me about the topic of the evening.

After mulling this over, I spoke to some corporate friends of mine and told them the story without going into detail or names. They were all horrified by it, and told me that professional is professional and nothing changes that. Who you are or where you come from is uninteresting. What is interesting is: Can you deliver? Do you have an accessible personality?
Well, I can deliver and I do have an accessible personality. I am friends with the people these ladies want for clients.

The whole incident reminded me of school. The pretty girls club and the checking out if you would fit. Well, I didn't fit then, and I don't fit now. I go my own way, I have my attitude and I get along fine with everybody everywhere. And never would I want to change this. I believe I rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment