Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dress codes

I live in Luxembourg, corporate Luxembourg. Everybody wears a suit - man and woman alike - except me...for very good reasons; 1) my shoulders are too wide to fit in a female jacket. A male jacket will fit nicely except for 2) my breasts are too big. So I don't wear suits. If I could, I probably would, just to fit in. As it is, I tend to swing the other way. I love clothes, I love outrageous and, as every girl, I do enjoy a dress-up. Don't need much of an occasion for that!

Yesterday was American Chamber of Commerce Thanksgiving Dinner. I was there, dressed in my pretty black cocktail dress and outrageously high silver heels. With pink eye-make-up, pink orchideae in my hair and pink schal...I was so there.
I was the only one....so.....there.....everybody came from work. Now this is a potentially VERY embarassing situation. I felt slightly uncomfortable until I realized that there was not much I could do about it, so I enjoyed my evening, made new friends, exchanged business-cards and was hugged by the ambassador (who probably loved my shoes...). During the dinner I actually told my fellow table-mates of how to raise pigs!!! (as opposed to turkey...national differences)

Tonight was a presentation about media in Luxembourg. I had a lovely time. The speaker is an acquaintance of mine whom I always liked. (Tonight he became my friend) After the talk some of us hung out in the bar till the wee hours, discussing whatever happened to come along. I met new people who told me their interesting stories. I was told by one young woman that I always look like a moviestar (she loves my outfits) and another woman told me I am interesting for my style and accomplished listening.

I felt honoured and humble and great! I have stopped playing games. I wear my style no matter if it fits or not. I am personal, my whole make-up - including what I do for business - is personal. And no matter what one might think of my slightly unconventional style...people remember me and that is valuable when networking.

1 comment:

  1. Dear "friend" AD,
    I do not have a lot to say about dress-codes, but I want to tell you how happy I am to read some of your blog tonight!
    As to your dress-code: I believe that I have never seen you with a flower attached somewhere in your hair. And if it wasn't, it was on your smile or in your eyes!

    My comment here goes more into the direction of metamorphosis of my status of acquaintance to friend that you seem to mention when talking about this evening at the Network! Thank you, thank you!

    I am happy to have you among my friends. Not the type that everybody makes by the dozen on Facebook these days! But in the good old fashioned sense of friendship that we know! The two times that I saw you at the Speltzes home, you stuck out from the crowd as one of the very few - if not the only one - guest whom I wanted to sit down with and talk to! But of cause standards expect that I left you to others, I knew that time would give us other opportunities. Or as you say further down: Miracles do happen, also to us who do not care for religions and esoterics.
    In brief: thank you for considering me as a friend! I gladly accept you on my rather short list of very valued friends!
    Talk to you soon!
    Pol

    ReplyDelete